Happy Birthday to ME!
No, I’m not 35. I’m 36 today. What just passed was my 35th year.
#Thriveat35 was my mantra for the year. I didn’t make a big deal out of it. I didn’t post it everywhere. I told only a few friends, half-heartedly because frankly…. I didn’t know what it really meant & what it would look like.
Could I really #Thriveat35?
Now that my 35th year is drawing to a close, I would say that I did indeed #Thriveat35
What did that look like? What does it look like to #Thriveat35? TBH, it looked like a big ole crazy, scary, season-ending, mind-boggling, jumping off cliffs, sloppy, broke-*** mess!
Here’s what I learned in this 35th year (in no particular order).
- I wanted the New Beginning but avoided the Ending. The two are connected.
- PERSPECTIVE IS EVERYTHING.
- Say yes to things that scare the CRAP out of me.
- Sisterhood group chats are essentially the “hype man” that every good rapper needs; they repeat all the good parts for emphasis. Don’t begrudge your role as “hype man” for you will need one soon.
- Success lies in habits.
- There is no formula. They’re lying if they say there is.
- Early rising is life-giving & life-saving.
- The Bible be right. For real.
- Making the bed helps me focus throughout the day.
- Healthy partnership is essential for…so many things.
- I could be wrong. That is completely okay.
- Marrying my husband? #OneoftheBestDecisionsIveEverMade
- Addendum to the above: Only marry #ThriveEnablers
- Rooting for (or clapping) at someone else’s trouble shows what’s really in my heart.
- The sound my feet make walking away from things not meant for me is music.
- There is a peace in not having it all figured out.
- Sometimes self-care is getting my ish done.
- I cannot serve both God & Money.
- I cannot serve both God & my Ego.
- I cannot serve both God & my insecurities (which is essentially my Ego)
- I cannot serve both God and YOU as Ruler in my life.
- God is speaking. I’m the one with the hearing problem.
- Kindness matters. So much.
- Being kind to myself matters even more.
- Love TRULY COVERS a multitude of sins.
- Learn other people’s lessons too.
- God IS and always has been waiting for me.
- I’m my own competition, I’m competing with myself.
- I’m not late. I’m not behind.
- My voice matters & has POWER.
- Decisions have consequences. Sometimes God graced me that I didn’t feel the full effects. Sometimes He graced me to feel it in as much fullness as I could take. Both are GRACE.
- Discovery of my “whys” has been the best part of the year.
- My brain is expensive.
35 has been a most enlightening year. I’ve learned so much about myself, what makes me tick & what I’m capable of. The best thing I’ve learned is…
35. Candace, accept your magic.
It’s so much easier to pick out every flaw. Those, I’m already intimately acquainted with. I wanted to meet my magic. And, I did.
I’m interested to see what 36 has for me. I have so many projects in the works. Projects that make me excited. Stories that need to be told. Creativity, that is a direct result of me discovering my “whys”.
I don’t have a cute hashtag for 36. Yet. Leave your suggestions in the comments below along with anything you’ve learned this past year.
A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. – Proverbs 16:9 KJV
Soundtrack for this blog is brought to you by B. Reith ft. PJ Morton – For Once in my Life.